|Aesthetic Medicine Today
|2009 USPSTF Breast Cancer Screening Guidelines
Christina Cruz Dominguez
November 17, 2009 — The US Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) has
published its updated 2009 Breast Cancer Screening Guidelines in the November
17 issue of the Annals of Internal Medicine.
The new USPSTF recommended CHANGES are as follows:
• Against routine screening mammography in women aged 40 to 49 years.
• Every 2 years women aged 50 to 74 years should undergo screening
• Against women 75 years or older obtaining mammography
• Clinical Breast Examination (CBE) in women 40 years or older may not be
beneficial in aiding diagnosis
• Against clinicians teaching Breast Self Examination (BSE)
• No benefit between digital mammography, MRI, or film mammography
The USPSTF recommends women aged 40 to 49 years who are at high risk for breast
cancer based on prior history or a strong genetic family history, consult with their
physician regarding these recommendations.
Ann Intern Med. 2009;151:716-726, 727-737, 750-752
|Copyright © 2012 Aesthetic Medicine Today. All rights reserved.
Written permission for abstracting and reproduction required.